Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waiting!

Have you ever had to wait for something? Something you really wanted to happen (or even something you didn't)? A good thing? A bad thing? Something just kinda hanging over your head? I know, I know we all have to wait for things from time to time! We are in a serious waiting season at our house these days. Waiting for Jack's arrival. Waiting to hear back from some things. Waiting to sell our GA house. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
I'll let you in on a little secret. Promise not to tell? I am NOT a good waiter. I don't wait patiently or quietly. Just ask Josh...this week we are waiting on some news...some pretty big news. While Josh would rather just put it out of his mind and not think about it until we hear (probably smart since we have no control over the outcome or when we will hear it) I cannot quit thinking about it and talking about it and OBSESSING about it! I'm sure I ask Josh at least 100 times a day "Have you heard from....?" or "What do you think about...?" I know it makes him CRAZY (how do i know? because he tells me!)!!
SO waiting as you can see is REALLY hard for me! Maybe because it means I'm not in control. I can be a little control freaky sometimes. Not about the usual things but about weird things like dressing my kids or driving (I REALLY like to be the driver...I just do a better job at it than most people I know! Kidding! Really, I'm kidding but I do like to drive and am a very nervous rider)! I don't like feeling like someone else is in control of my life and/or my future. I like to be the one in control. Can you tell I have some issues? Do you think maybe God is trying to tell me something or some things about who is and should be in control? Why when I know that HE wants and even KNOWS what's best for me do I have such a hard time turning over the reins? Why do I always want to rush things or do things on my timetable? Do I think that I know more or know better than He does? How silly and stupid and most of all arrogant is that? It's like I'm saying "Yeah God, I know you created the whole world and me and everything else in it. I know that you can and do perform miracles and that you care for me and have a plan for me and my life BUT I think I've got this one....no help necessary. My way is surely the best!" Who am I kidding?!?!? Obviously myself!
So these are a few verses I'm focusing on during this season of waiting (I hope it is a short one but who knows). I am not going to be so focused on the process or the time passed but instead I am going to focus on knowing and trusting in the ONE who already knows what is to come!

Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him.
Isaiah 30:18

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and the mire; he set my foot on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Psalm 40:1-3

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.
Psalm 130:5

No comments:

Post a Comment