Monday, October 5, 2009

Something to think about.

Yesterday we heard some very sad news. Josh's grandmother (Mema) died yesterday morning. We heard around lunch time and we've just kind of been taking it in since then. It's so funny to me that when something like this happens there is so much stuff to be done and everyone races around making preparations that we hardly take any time to think about how the person we've lost touched our lives. (I know the "stuff" is important and has to be done but I think if we're not careful we can avoid our loss by being busy.)
With all of that in mind, I have taken some time today to think about things I know about Mema and ways she has touched MY life. I had the privlege of knowing Mema for about 8 years. We met while Josh and I were dating (and once I even shared a bed with her! A memory that makes for a great story and conversation starter!) so I knew Mema for not quite 10 years. Not a lifetime of memories like her grandchildren had but long enough to get a feel for what someone is really like. One thing I remember about Mema is that she called everyone "beautiful doll". Kinda of a funny thing to say but endearing too, especially because you know that she meant it. She truly believed that each one of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren was beautiful and even more because Mema believed it, you could believe it too. She was always so excited to see us and just wanted to hug our necks and visit. She watched my girls perform an endless number of tricks and took them for "rides" on her walker! I never knew a walker could be such fun!
Mema was a charter member of her church; a church she attended for close to 50 years. She loved her church and always taught Sunday school for years and years. She impacted so many people just by being a part of their life and spiritual development over the years. In fact, when Josh and I got married my great grandmother was not well and we needed to hire someone to help take care of her during the reception. Someone who lived in Chattanooga and went to church with my parents found out who Josh's grandmother (Mema) was. She had been in Mema's Sunday School class years earlier and because Mema had touched her in a major way she volunteered to stay with my great grandmother. It is amazing to see how one life can impact another even across miles and years. Mema's impact didn't stop there. If you visit her church and walk in the prayer garden that carries her name it's easy to see how many lives she touched in her 82 years.
While this loss is sad for those of us here on earth, it's not so sad (in fact it's a downright joyful day) for Mema. Over the last several years Mema had not been well. She had become a diabetic, had multiple back surgeries and suffered from pretty much constant joint pain. She is free from all of that today! Because of her love for Christ and her acceptance of his wonderful gift of salvation, Mema is in paradise. I really started to think about this when I lost my Granddaddy 2 years ago....about how death is not scary or even all that sad when you're a Christian. (Dond't get me wrong....it's plenty sad for those of us left behind.) Instead it brings hope and peace and comfort. Mema is healed. She is with her husband and mother and countless friends and family members who have gone on before. And even more importantly than that she's with her Savior!! When we told the girls, Annie asked if Mema was with Jesus like Grandaddy Bob. We told her yes. That Mema is with Jesus and Pawpaw and she's probably running and laughing and maybe even dancing! Celebrating! From now on, that's how I'll choose to think of Mema.

No comments:

Post a Comment