ME!:( So sad! This morning 2 out of 3 of my girls woke up with a fever. Thankfully we're not 3 for 3! Last night I thought Emma felt warm so I took her temperature and it was a little high. Annie too. I gave both girls some tylenol and sent them to bed. Both were acting fine and seemed to be feeling fine so I wasn't too worried. I went in to check on them around 10:00 and Annie seemed to be fine but Emma was burning up! I took her temp....right at 102. Not terrible for a kid but still pretty high. I called my mom who assured me that she would be fine overnight and advised me just to check her out in the morning. This morning both girls were still feverish so I figured I better call the doctor to see if they needed to come in. Now, normally I am not one to go to the doctor...someone has to be bleeding or throwing up or really feeling lousy for me to darken the door but with all this flu and swine flu and "worldwide pandemic" I thought it was better to be safe than sorry!
As soon as I told the girls we were going to the doctor there was a breakout of weeping and wailing and even some gnashing of teeth. No, seriously it wasn't that bad but they were not looking forward to it. I figured out that the outburst was because on their last visit the girls had gotten shots (Annie had to get 4)! Annie kept saying "but mom, you promised no more shots until I am 10!" She's right I did promise. A promise I (not being a Dr.) had no business making but made nonetheless. I tried to reassure both of my girls that today would be a shot free visit. I finally got eveyone calmed down and into the car.
When we walked into the waiting room Emma made her first announcement: "No shots for Emma!" As we waited in the waiting room she told all of the other children that she was not getting any shots today! When they called our name to take us to a room she informed the nurse that she didn't want a shot today. When the NP student came in to check us out Emma again reminded her that there would be "no shots for Emma". When the NP came in to REALLY check us out Emma once again made her announcement. So far so good. Everyone agreed that today there would be no shots for Emma or Annie! YAY! Both girls were so good while they were getting poked and prodded and looked over, even when they did the strep test to confirm our diagnosis. BUT when the strep test came back negative (yay!) things started to head south quickly! Because we had ruled out all of the normal illnesses (strep, flu etc.) they would have to do a blood test to check for a viral infection. This time it wasn't a shot but almost as bad...the dreaded finger stick! When the girls saw those pokers you would have thought they were being chased by a hungry bear! They both ran to my lap and tried to hide! Annie looked at me with big tears running down her face and said "You said we wouldn't have to get any shots!" I felt like the worst mom EVER! I did say that. I did tell her that this visit would be pain free. If I could have taken that finger prick (and every one from now on) I would have. I felt like I let her down and not only that but that I let something hurt her. It made me wonder about our relationship from now on. Will she trust me now? Will she believe me when I tell her that everything's ok? or when I tell her she doesn't have to be afraid because she is safe with me? What if nothing I say matters to her anymore?
It turns out that my worries were unfounded (as is usually the case). As we walked out the door both girls got princess stickers and Annie turned to me and asked if we could go to the bagel store for lunch. I immediately said yes and you should have seen the smile light up her face. I think her faith is restored and I'm thankful....i'm also thankful I didn't pass any police on our mad dash to the bagel store! :)
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment