Monday, May 3, 2010

Meet Jenifer


Jenifer is the newest member of our family. She lives in Ecuador. We don't really know her yet...BUT we are so looking forward to getting to know her and learning about her family and country and maybe even getting to visit her sometime. I know you have lots of questions (or maybe not) about how we "got" Jenifer. I'm happy to answer!
Josh has been involved in Compassion for a while. Some of his youth groups have sponsored children in the past and he's been really impressed with the organization and the work they are doing all over the world. We've even talked about sponsoring a child ourselves before but for some reason or another we've just never gotten around to doing it. Well, things have changed around here. I don't know if it's because my kids are getting older and I'm trying to teach them some things by example or if it's just finally time that I put my money where my mouth is (you know I SAY that I care about people but what am I DOING to SHOW it???) but we took the plunge and found Jenifer!
Annie and I have been talking a lot lately about how very very fortunate she is and just how good she has it! :) To be born in this country, with two parents who love her (and her sisters) so very much, to never have to worry about food or clothes or where she's going to sleep at night!! What a lot we have to be thankful for! So, Annie and I have really been talking lately about how other people live (even people here in GA) and how we can help. I actually showed her some pictures on the Compassion website of how other children her age live. How they wonder about where they might sleep at night or what they might eat or even about where to get medicine if they get sick. It really made her (and her mama) aware of how so many children and families live and how little they actually have AND it made her want to help (did I mention that I love this girl)!!! She was so excited about "getting a girl to help"! We spent some time looking at the children in need of sponsorship and decided that Jenifer was just right for us! So, thanks to Annie T., Jennifer will be able to go to school, get necessary vacinations and medical treatment and help her family gain a little security. Annie and Jenifer actually have the EXACT same birthday so it will be really neat to watch them grow up together (sort of)!
I am so proud of Annie-she is growing into such a caring young lady. She even told me this week that she is going to give some of her allowance each week (another post altogether)to Jenifer and her family! This has been (and I know will be continue to be) such a learning experience for our whole family. Josh and I have decided that we want to sponsor a child for each of our children when they get a little older. Someone that they can each get to know and love and share life with even if they are half way around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment