Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What do you do if you don't have family?!?!

If you know me at all, you know that 2010 was not the best year for the Thompson family. Other than Jack's arrival 2010 was pretty much a lousy year all around. So far 2011 is not winning any awards either! BUT I have to just brag a minute on my awesome family....I mean my immediate family (Josh and the kids) and also my extended family (I mean seriously extended....my parents, in-laws, cousins, grandmother, great aunts and uncles-EXTENDED family)! Seriously, we have learned who we can count on in this uncertain time in the life of our family! It makes me really think about and hurt for people who don't have family! I honestly don't know how you handle life if you don't have anyone to turn to. It also really convicts me that I need to be "family" to others. There are SO many people who face much tougher realities than mine every. single. day. AND have no one to depend on. At my Bible study last night we talked about how Jesus denied his biological family (don't worry I'm not doing that...mine is too dang awesome) and called his disciples and his followers his family! WOW! Talk about convicting. Can I just tell you that I am such a failure in caring for others like that? I can so easily get wrapped up in my own (pretty pleasant) life that I can simply overlook the hurt that others deal with on a day to day basis. I don't want to be that way. I want my eyes to be open to the hurting of others around me. I want to BE family to those who don't have a family of their own. Josh and I have always talked about adoption as a possibility one day (Mom, don't panic.....i said ONE DAY!) but with four little ones of our own now is just not the time for us BUT that's not the only way to be family to others. Again, I just hope that my eyes are opened to ways to help and serve and love others. I have experienced so much help and love and support in my almost 31 years (yikes!) that I would seriously be wrong not to love others at least as much!

No comments:

Post a Comment