We had quite a busy Thanksgiving this year! We were able to spend time with both of our families which was nice (and unusual)! We almost always spend Thanksgiving day with Josh's family at his grandmother (Nanny's) house. This year Nanny (who is in her eighties) decided that she wasn't really up to doing all of the cooking and prep that comes with a big Thanksgiving dinner so Josh's parents decided they would take her out to lunch instead. I don't know about you but Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant with four rowdy (well, three rowdy kiddos) is not exactly my idea of a relaxing Thanksgiving! So, while we all wanted to see Nanny and spend the day together we all (Josh's parents included) agreed that us tagging along was probably not the best idea. We decided instead that Josh and the kids and I would go to Chattanooga for Thanksgiving day and then get together later in the week.
Josh and I decided we would head to Chattanooga on Tuesday and stay until Friday morning! On Tuesday morning Josh took the girls to the local science museum so that I could get cleaned up and packed for our journey (5 nights away with 4 kids requires quite a bit of stuff)! They headed home in just enough time to eat a quick lunch and jump in the car! We got to Chattanooga about the same time my mom and dad were getting home from work! We had a quick dinner of white (red...my mom is so crazy!) chicken chili, hopped in the tub and headed to bed!
On Wednesday, we mostly hung out around the house with my mom and Daniel and started some of the prep for Thanksgiving lunch and awaited Matthew's arrival from D.C. Wednesday night Josh, Daniel, his friend, Jack and I headed out to see Harry Potter 7! (SO good by the way! Thanks mom and dad for watching the girls so we could go!!) Matthew was going to go with us but geeked out at the last minute....what a crazy! We missed him!
On Thursday we got up and like every other family in America started the cooking! I am not a big fan of turkey or "Thanksgiving food" but this meal was so good! My dad made a really good turkey, Matthew made super yummy mashed potatoes (kinda like twice baked), Grandmother came and brought dressing, my mom made a really good pie...YUM! I don't know why but this Thanksgiving dinner was the best I remember in a really long time! I will certainly look forward to next year's Thanksgiving meal after one like we had! We had a lazy Thanksgiving night...just kinda relaxing and visiting!
On Friday morning we got up and started to (slowly) make our way to Josh's parents house. Our goal was to leave by noon so we could get there in time for the Iron Bowl.....in case you didn't know our Tigers were 11-0 and hoping for a BIG win in T-town! We got a little behind and missed the first quarter of the game....probably a good thing if you know how it looked at the beginning! Josh and I were on our way to Gainesville and I made Daniel promise to keep us updated until we got there. We about had a heart attack as the texts started rolling in....none of them good! Our Tigers were getting KILLED! We could see our National Championship dreams just slipping away! YIKES! We got to Gainesville, got unpacked and rushed in to see the rest of the game....things were still looking pretty bleak :( At one time we were down by 24 points and the score was 24-7 at the half! I don't know what Gene Chizik said to get the team back on track but if he isn't the Coach of the Year, I don't know who is! Our boys came out after a few minutes, the tides so to speak had turned. We were scoring. Our defense was holding up! Holy Cow!! It was like we were a whole different team! AND at the end....WE WON!!! YIPEE!!! :) After the game (when everyone had finally calmed down a little) we had some dinner and threw the girls in the tub before settling in for a relaxing night!
On Saturday morning we got up bright and early(ish) and Josh's mom and I went washing machine shopping (oh yes....this is a whole separate post. stay tuned for details) before Becca and Matt and Walker and Laynee got there for lunch. My girls were so excited to see Walker and Laynee! It sure is nice to have cousins! We enjoyed our lunch and then headed to the playground. It was cold but a beautiful day so we lasted an hour or so before heading out for icecream....I know kinda a weird choice for a cold day but it sure was good! We headed home with a car FULL of tired kiddos! There was a lot of singing and asking questions and general chaos in our car in an effort to avoid the dreaded late afternoon nap! Thankfully we were successful and no kiddos conked out! We spent the rest of the evening relaxing and getting kiddos fed and bathed and tucked into bed....they were all exhausted! Gracie even asked to go to bed!
On Sunday morning we got up and dressed all of the kiddos in their matching t shirts and tried (tried being the key word here) to get a picture of them all together! What a fun disaster! We also tried to get a picture of our family for our Christmas card....of course Josh hates all of them so we will be having a make up photo shoot one day this week (we may just do kiddos....that's who everyone wants to see anyway). After a little more playing and visiting we all loaded up and headed home!
Our Thanksgiving was filled with family and fun! I am reminded even more after spending time with our loved ones that we have so very much to be thankful for! Even in this time of uncertainty and this season of waiting in our family, we are never alone and never forgotten. We don't have to be in control or have the perfect plan (although sometimes we think we do)! I am so thankful for that AND for the knowledge that our God (who is always FOR us) is so much bigger than I am and my worries and troubles are not a surprise to him and he has a purpose for even the most difficult of situations! We are truly blessed and truly thankful!
Monday, November 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment