Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Childlike Faith

Tonight as the girls and I were getting ready for bed I noticed some writing on the wall....literally. Annie had written all over the wall, her bed, her window sill, and her bookcase. This is not the first time this has happened!:( This has been a REALLY long week already and I was pretty much at my wit's end so this almost pushed me over the edge!
So, Annie and I started talking about how we only write on PAPER! And I asked her why she wrote on the wall. She said "I don't know...I don't want to do bad things." Don't we all feel that way! So we kept talking and I told her that even though she had done something wrong and even though I was disappointed because of what she did I still loved her-I always love her. Then she said something pretty profound (out of the mouths of babes, right?). She said just like Jesus always love us. I said yep and went onto say our bedtime prayers. After finishing our prayers Annie and I had a really interesting (and surprisingly deep) conversation. It went something like this:
Annie: Mom, I love that Jesus died on the cross.
Me: You do?
Annie: Yep, don't you?
Me: Well....why do you love that Jesus died on the cross?
Annie: Because he makes our hearts clean! AND helps us not do bad things anymore.

It's really amazing to me how much (and at the same time how little) she understands about being a Christian already. I know she has a long way to go before her faith is her own and not just something she's been taught but I'm so thankful I get to be a part of watching her faith grow and mature into something that can sustain her through ALL times!

No comments:

Post a Comment